How truthful are food and nutrition labels?
Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) make up what percent of each of the following crops?
What percentage of a product needs to be organic for it to be labeled “organic?”
Which of these foods can be labeled “cholesterol-free?”
- Chicken (70 mg cholesterol)
- Apples (0 mg of cholesterol)
- Mustard (<2 mg of cholesterol)
If a package reads “made with real fruit,” it can:
- be made with negligible amounts of fruit
- be made with fruit concentrate
- refer to a fruit other than the one pictured on the package
To be labeled “free-range,” poultry must:
- be given access to the outdoors for over 51% of their lives
- be certified by an outside agency
- be from a climate where year-round outdoor access is feasible
Which of these labeling terms is recognized in FDA guidance?
- Whole Grain
The FDA requires that food labeled “all-natural” must not include:
- Artificial Flavors
- Added Colors
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Synthetic Substances
What is the maximum distance food can travel in order to be considered “local?”