Racial Disparities in Mental Health Treatment
- 15% African-Americans
- 13% Latinos
- 11% Asian-Americans
- 31% of white children with mental health problems receive mental health services.
- Only 13% of children from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds with mental health problems receive mental health services.
- 8.7% of black adults receive treatment for mental health concerns.
- 16% of white adults receive treatment for mental health concerns.
- 88% of Latino youths have unmet mental heath needs, compared to 76% of white youths and 77% of black youths.
- Of white health care providers, 51% believe that their patients do not adhere to medical treatments as a result of cultural and linguistic barriers, and 56% report having no form of cultural competency training.