- Online Application: Complete the online application in its entirety.
- Résumé: Show relevant paid and volunteer experience in the human services field both pre- and post-MSW.
- Transcripts: Provide transcripts from each institution you attended, whether a degree was earned or not. This includes community colleges.
Transcript requests can take time to process. We recommend submitting your requests as soon as possible. If you are requesting your official transcripts by mail, please send them to:
Application Processing Center
PO Box 30096 [015-004]
College Station, TX 77842
Many schools issue transcripts electronically. If this option is available, provide the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or select “Simmons University — SocialWork@Simmons” if listed as an option by the vendor. This will expedite the delivery of your transcripts and the review of your application.
Important Note: An MSW from a CSWE-accredited institution is required for admission. Please note that the MSW program you earned your degree from must have been accredited during the time you attended (regardless if the institution earned CSWE accreditation at a later date).
- Recommendation Letters (2): A minimum of two (2) recommendations is required; a third recommendation is optional. Please note, the admission committee may request a third letter of recommendation when an additional perspective is needed to assess candidacy.
Preferred sources include a faculty member who can speak to your readiness for doctoral education and a doctorally prepared professional supervisor or manager who has directly observed your work. Letters from friends, family members, co-workers, personal counselors or therapists, or clergy will not be accepted.
- Statement of Professional and Educational Intent: Address the prompts below and incorporate supportive evidence where necessary in a three- to five-page double-spaced essay using 12-point font. Please identify each section of your essay with the corresponding letter prompts below.
Previous Doctoral Education
- A letter of good standing from the dean or program director of the program in which you are currently or were previously enrolled.
- A personal statement explaining the reason for leaving your current or previous program and pursuing a DSW at Simmons.