Interventions for Girls and Women on the Autism Spectrum
How Does Autism Present in Girls and Women?
Communication and Independence
- Organizing information
- Completing daily activities
- Working short-term memory
- Impulse control
- Cognitive flexibility
How Can Interventions Be Tailored to Girls?
Interventions That Nurture Girls’ Needs
- Antecedent: A thought, feeling or desire that precedes an action.
- Behavior: An action or expression that may be socially inappropriate or obstructive to completing a task.
- Consequence: The result that immediately follows a behavior, usually an outcome that fulfills the original desire or need.
Empowering Girls, One Step at a Time
What Does the Care Continuum Look Like for Girls?
- Antecedent: A desire for a romantic connection.
- Behavior: Writing a love letter to a classmate.
- Consequence: Receiving a reaction from the classmate that may or may not be positive.