- Online application: Complete the online application in its entirety.
- Résumé: Show relevant work experience through summer employment, volunteer work during or after college, and/or full-time employment in the human services field. No course credit will be granted for work experience.
- Transcripts: Provide transcripts from each institution you attended, including community colleges, whether a degree was earned or not. Unofficial transcripts may be submitted in place of official transcripts in order to complete the application for review by the admission committee, for the priority deadline only. Unofficial transcripts can be submitted via mail, fax, or scan (including mobile scanning applications) and should include the institution name and student name. Screenshots or faxes of grade reports are not acceptable and will not satisfy the transcript requirement for this purpose. Official transcripts must be submitted three weeks prior to the start of the term.
Transcript requests can take time to process, so we recommend submitting your requests as soon as possible. Please request that official transcripts be mailed to:Simmons University
Application Processing Center
PO Box 30096 [015-004]
College Station, TX 77842
Please note: To be considered an official transcript, the transcript must be sent directly from your institution(s) or through an electronic transcript vendor retained by that institution. Transcripts submitted by enrolled or prospective students are considered unofficial documents, even if they are in a sealed envelope provided to you by the issuing university.Many schools also issue transcripts electronically, either through their own web services or vendors. If this option is available, provide the email address email@example.com or select Simmons University — SocialWork@Simmons if listed as an option by the vendor. This will expedite the delivery of the transcript(s) and completion of your application.
- Recommendation forms: Secure two professional and/or academic letters of recommendation, a third letter of recommendation is optional. If you have recent or current experience working or volunteering as a social worker or in the human services field, it is preferred that one recommendation come from your most recent direct supervisor. Additional letters may be obtained from senior employees. If you are a current student or recent graduate it is preferred that you submit a recommendation from a professor or academic advisor who can speak to your readiness for graduate education. Letters from friends, family members, co-workers, personal counselors or therapists, or clergy will not be accepted. Your recommenders must complete Simmons’ online recommendation form and address your commitment to and readiness for graduate clinical social work education. Additional information on recommendations is provided in the online application.
- Statement of professional and educational intent: Address the prompts below in three to five double-spaced pages.Prompts:
- How has your professional, volunteer, and academic experience prepared you for graduate social work education and contributed to your decision to be a professional social worker? Provide specific examples to explain your answer and address what aspects of the field most interest you.
- Why does SocialWork@Simmons best suit your educational needs, and what contributions will you make to the school community?
- Describe how you will manage the rigorous demands of graduate coursework and field education.
- Certificate program essay: If you choose to apply to a certificate track with your MSW application, you will need to write an essay describing your interest in the certificate in addition to the statement of professional and educational intent listed above.
Your certificate program essay should state:
- which certificate you would like to pursue (Practice With Groups & Families, Mental Health Practice, or Trauma Practice)
- why you are interested in working in this specific practice area of social work, and highlight any experience you have in this area
Please note: Simmons School of Social Work prefers American Psychological Association (APA)-style citations. Should you need to cite any sources in your statement of professional and educational intent or certificate program essay, please use the APA format. For more information about properly citing sources in APA style, please visit the Purdue Online Writing Lab.
- Interview (by invitation): In some cases, the admission committee may request a phone interview as part of the admission process.
- Test scores: There is no standardized testing requirement for SocialWork@Simmons. However, if English is not your first language, you must submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score or an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic score that demonstrates satisfactory proficiency. If you earned a college-level degree in an English-speaking country, this requirement can be waived.
- TOEFL: A minimum score of 600 on the paper test, 250 on the computerized test, or 105 on the internet-based test is required. Simmons must receive your scores directly from ETS (Educational Testing Service).
- IELTS: A minimum score of 7.0 on the Academic test is required. Score reports must be official.If you have questions about these requirements, contact an admission counselor at 1-855-523-7779.
- Application fee: The nonrefundable application fee of $50 can be paid electronically as part of the online application. If you submit your application before the priority application deadline, your application fee will be waived.
Application fee waivers are available for applicants affiliated with non-profit organizations such as: City Year, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and Teach for America, and military personnel, veterans, and their spouses. Please contact your admission counselor to request instructions for obtaining the fee waiver.
- A letter of good standing from the dean or program director of the MSW program in which you are currently enrolled or were most recently enrolled.
- A statement outlining the reason for leaving your previous MSW program and transferring to SocialWork@Simmons.
- A copy of your first year field evaluation if you have completed your generalist field education.